Friday, August 12, 2011

Isaiah 49:13-17

Last week was World Breastfeeding Week and this month is National Breastfeeding Month, so in the spirit of that, today's scripture is about how the Lord (or as I put in here, Lady) nurtures us figuratively at the breast. I made this gender-neutral in places by substituting "child" for "son." In verse 14, instead of wordily putting in "Lord and Lady" twice, I left Lord in for forsaken and put Lady in for forgotten. This leads nicely into verse 15, which I kept feminine-focused because breastfeeding is simply something you need breasts for. But other than that I tried to be inclusive about the genders. I wasn't entirely sure what to do about verse 16. Should we keep the Lady speaking in first person, or switch to the plural first person, "We have graven thee..."?

13 Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the Lady and Lord hath comforted their people, and will have mercy upon their afflicted.

14 But Zion said, The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lady hath forgotten me.

15 Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the child of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.

16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

17 Thy children shall make haste; thy destroyers and they that made thee waste shall go forth of thee.

No comments: