Sunday, September 16, 2012

Praise to the Lord, the Lady

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty is my favorite hymn, but I haven't used it here yet because I wasn't sure the best way to make it inclusive. We sang it today in sacrament and I had so much fun, that I decided I would bring it off the back burner and really do it.

This one is difficult because "Lord" is one syllable. You could probably alternate verses to the Lord and Lady very easily. I tried to be inclusive, though, so I added Lady into the first couple of syllables of the next phrase, trying to keep the meaning of the phrase. I also wasn't sure what to do about "Abraham's seed" since if I want to be inclusive, I need to include Sarah. I left it as-is, but if anyone has a good idea on how to tackle that, let me know.



Praise to the Lord, the Lady, Queen, King of creation!
O my soul, praise them, for they are thy health and salvation!
Join the great throng, Psaltery, organ and song,
Sounding in glad adoration!

Praise to the Lord, Lady! All things they gloriously reigneth.
Borne as on eagle wings, safely their Saints they sustaineth.
Hast thou not seen How all thou needest hath been
Granted in what they ordaineth?

Praise to the Lord, Lady, prosper thy way and defend thee.
Surely their goodness and mercy shall ever attend thee.
Ponder anew What the Almighties can do,
Who with their love doth befriend thee.

Praise to the Lord, Lady! All that is in me adore them!
All that hath breath, join with Abraham’s seed to adore them!
Let the “amen” Sum all our praises again,
Now as we worship before them.

No comments: