Sunday, April 10, 2011

How Gentle Their Commands

How Gentle God's Commands was our closing song today. I changed "God's" to "Their" and while that might seem ambiguous since the "They" isn't named as our Heavenly Parents, I left it in because Heavenly Parents are mentioned explicitly later. It's not uncommon for hymns to talk about "him" and later mention if it's Christ or Heavenly Father, so I felt it was ok this time. Also, I felt "Lord" is referring to Heavenly Father in this hymn and not necessarily to Christ. To make that line work, though, I changed "the Lord and" to "our Parents." If you're going to sing it this way, note that the last syllable of "Parents" is where "and" is and that last thought its own sentence "Trust their constant care" instead of the second half of a compound sentence.

And I want to give a shout out to whomever picks our closing songs: they always do a great job of picking appropriately short hymns. When the talks or testimonies go over, singing all the verses of "I Believe in Christ" is a little much, so I appreciate careful closing hymn planning.

How gentle Their commands!
How kind their precepts are!
Come, cast your burdens on our Parents-
Trust their constant care.

Beneath their watchful eyes,
Their Saints securely dwell;
Those hands which bear all nature up
Shall guard their children well.

Why should this anxious load
Press down your weary mind?
Haste to your Heav’nly Parents' throne
And sweet refreshment find.

Their goodness stands approved,
Unchanged from day to day;
I’ll drop my burden at their feet
And bear a song away.

No comments: