Wednesday, December 29, 2010

James 1:27

On Sunday, our Relief Society opening song was Have I Done Any Good? and this scripture was taken from the footnotes of that song. This scripture was unusual because it said "God and the Father" which might be alluding to Christ as God and Heavenly Father as the Father, but if you throw in the "Christ is also God the Father" concept, things get a little confusing. And since I can't read the mind of James, we're going with adding Goddess and Mother to this. Also, I wasn't sure if I should add "widowers." Is there a word to mean, "Any person, female or male, whose spouse has died?"  I did "motherless" to the list, which struck me poignantly because part in why I started this blog was because I felt doctrinally "motherless." I supposed I could have used "orphaned" but it didn't "speak" to me as well.

27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and Goddess and the Father and the Mother is this, To visit the fatherless and motherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

1 comment:

WordyDoodles said...

This is all so interesting to me as a United Methodist! I had no idea there was a Heavenly Mother concept separate from the Catholic Holy Mother. Totally fascinating.