Monday, December 20, 2010

Nehemiah 1:4-11

I think I like doing a scripture from the Sunday School lesson on Mondays. Today I pull from Nehemiah chapter 1. Besides the usual additions of "Goddess" and "mothers" and pronoun and verb plurality changes, today I had to figure out what to do with "Lord." In the grammar tab above, I say I'll often keep "Lord" as written if it is obviously a reference to Christ. This doesn't follow as "obviously a reference to Christ" so I added Lady. I also had to go make sure "thine" was plural as well as singular. It is.

4 And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God and Goddess of heaven,

5 And said, I beseech thee, O Lord and Lady God and Goddess of heaven, the great and terrible God and Goddess, that keepeth covenant and mercy for them that love them and observe their commandments:

6 Let thine ear now be attentive, and thine eyes open, that thou mayest hear the prayer of thy servant, which I pray before thee now, day and night, for the children of Israel thy servants, and confess the sins of the children of Israel, which we have sinned against thee: both I and my father and mother's house have sinned.

7 We have dealt very corruptly against thee, and have not kept the commandments, nor the statutes, nor the judgments, which thou commandedst thy servant Moses.

8 Remember, We beseech thee, the word that thou commandedst thy servant Moses, saying, If ye transgress, We will scatter you abroad among the nations:

9 But if ye turn unto us, and keep our commandments, and do them; though there were of you cast out unto the uttermost part of the heaven, yet will We gather them from thence, and will bring them unto the place that We have chosen to set our names there.

10 Now these are thy servants and thy people, whom thou hast redeemed by thy great power, and by thy strong hands.

11 O Lord and Lady, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant, and to the prayer of thy servants, who desire to fear thy names: and prosper, I pray thee, thy servant this day, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man. For I was the king's cupbearer.

No comments: