Friday, December 10, 2010

Mosiah 18:8-11

To round out this first week, I thought I'd include a scripture from the Book of Mormon. Because this is the baptismal covenant, it is something like a creed for Mormons. I'll admit that the additions of "and Goddess" does turn this into a mouthful, but I don't think we should sacrifice the incorporation of our Mother for ease.

You'll notice I didn't change the pronouns in verse 8 because I think there, "Lord" is being specific to Christ, I know you could argue that all the verses refer to Christ, but as stated in the Grammar page, I'm not particularly interested in making this historically accurate. What I get from this scripture is the idea that we are also Heavenly Mother's people, our Heavenly Parents' people, together, not solely His.

8 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God and Goddess, and to be called their people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;

9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God and Goddess at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God and Goddess, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—

10 Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a ccovenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?

11 And now when the people had heard these words, they clapped their hands for joy, and exclaimed: This is the desire of our hearts.

No comments: