Sunday, May 1, 2011

Parents, We Thank Thee for the Night

Sorry this is up late! We had an unusually hurried Sabbath and it slipped my mind.

Today's song is one of the songs that I often use as a lullaby because of it's first line. As I was preparing for this post, I thought it was beautiful that the first thing it mentions is gratitude for the night. I had looked at a few other Primary songs as possible songs for today, some about light, and the contrast of being thankful for the night was poignant to me. As dark as it is, I am thankful for the night.

I added a syllable when changing "Father" to "Our Parents." When I sing it to my children the "Our" is a pick up note, or grace note. I love this little unknown song.



Our Parents, we thank thee for the night
And for the pleasant morning light,
For rest and food and loving care
And all that makes the day so fair.

No comments: